Young Australia League Ltd. (YAL) has formed Young Australia League J.J. Simons Charitable Endowment Trust (the Trust) for the objective to provide money for scholarships, bursaries or prizes that promote educational opportunities for Australian youth in accordance with its mission.
For 2020 YAL will be offering the following scholarship for the 2021 academic year.
This will offer a scholarship/bursary targeted towards a student living in the City of Wanneroo. YAL have entered into an arrangement with the City of Wanneroo to offer an Upper Secondary Scholarship up to 2 years. This will see the recipient receive a scholarship/bursary worth a total of up to $6,000 over 2 years ($3,000 p/a) – there is the potential for an additional year of funding if applicable . To be eligible for this scholarship you must be a resident of City of Wanneroo and attending secondary school.
This will offer a scholarship/bursary targeted towards a student living or attending school in the City of Swan. YAL have entered into an arrangement with the City of Swan to offer an Lower Secondary Scholarship up to 2 years. This will see the recipient receive a scholarship/bursary worth a total of up to $4,000 over 2 years ($2,000 p/a) – there is the potential for an additional year of funding if applicable. To be eligible for this scholarship you must be a resident or attending secondary school in the City of Swan.
What assistance is currently available for the 2021 school year?
- City of Wanneroo Upper Secondary scholarship/bursary of $3,000 p.a. for 2 years to support full time Secondary education (years 10, 11 and 12) at an accredited public or private institution – only available residents of the City of Wanneroo.
- City of Swan Lower Secondary scholarship/bursary of $2,000 p.a. for 2 years to support full time Secondary education (years 7, 8 and 9) at an accredited public or private institution – only available residents or students enrolled at a school in the City of Swan.
- Mulder Family Music Lower Secondary scholarship/bursary of $2,000 p.a. to support full time Secondary education (years 7, 8 and 9) at an accredited public or private institution in a music program– only available for residents of the City of Armadale.
What does the assistance provide?
- Subject to successful progress and acquittal process, successful applicants may expect ongoing support for up to 2 years for full time (or part there of) study.
- Funds may be applied to eligible expenditure including (but not limited to) tuition fees, specialist course fees, equipment, books, travel and living allowance, or any other expenditure considered to be required to overcome financial or situational barriers, which could otherwise prevent access to further education.
Am I eligible?
The program seeks applicants who can demonstrate:
- They have Australian citizenship or permanent residency of Australia;
- They are living within Australia;
- The application has academic merit and /or they are disadvantaged or do not have equitable access to education;
- They are aged between 12 and 25 years at the time of making the application;
- The program of study will be undertaken in a recognised educational institute in Australia.
What are the selection criteria?
The selection panel will consider the following selection criteria:
- Evidence of the applicant’s enthusiasm for furthering their own education and career development;
- Evidence of past meritorious academic and/or other skills performance;
- Evidence of financial or situational barriers, which could otherwise prevent access to further education.
Who selects the successful applicants?
A selection panel will review all applications according to the criteria set out in the Application Form. The selection panel consists of representatives from various education sectors. After considering all applications, the selection panel will make recommendations to The Trustee Board of Directors. The Selection Panel may invite a number of applicants for interview before making its final recommendations.
The Trustee Board of Directors reserves the unfettered right to decide whether funding will be awarded in any given year and to which applicants. Its decisions are final. Feedback on individual applications will not be provided. The selection process is confidential. No information provided by the applicants will be released to third parties without the informed consent of the individual applicant.
What are the Terms and Conditions?
It is a condition of scholarships/bursaries that funds provided are used for the purposes consistent with the intent of the program.
Successful applicants will be encouraged to share their successes and act as advocates for the program and actively promote its virtues through their social media and other networking opportunities. The Trust with consent of the individual’s successful applicant or legal guardian advertise, publish or otherwise made public the successful applicant’s story to promote the scholarship/bursary program.
Before applying for the scholarship/bursaries, please ensure that you have read and understood the terms and conditions that follow the application form in this package. If you need further clarification you must contact the Chief Executive Officer.
How do I apply?
Applications will only be accepted on the Application Form provided as a PDF download or online form.
If you require to submit your application in an alternative mode, such as by video, please contact the Chief Executive Officer. The Application process requires you to:
- Complete Section 1 – Application Form
- Complete Section 2 – A short answer questionnaire
- Provide a portfolio of supporting evidence
How do I submit my application form?
It is preferred that applications are submitted online via the website www.yal.org.au. Alternatively, completed application packages may be submitted via email to [email protected] or by reply paid post to:
J.J. “Boss” Simons Charitable Endowment Trust
c/o Young Australia League Ltd.
Reply Paid 84593
45 Murray Street
Perth WA 6000
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications for the 2020 scholarships/bursaries close at 5pm (WST) Monday 7th September 2020. Late applications will not be accepted.